Your shopping cart
Your shopping cart is empty!
Let me help you spend some money :)
- Date published: 24/02/2020
The Aalchi International Restaurant has been prosecuted by Sandwell Council after the chef was burned when the oven exploded in his face.
The chef received burns to his face, ears, hands and arms which were treated in hospital after clothing caught fire. This was caused by gas leaking from the oven and had no ignition switch.
Once the local authority was made aware of this incident an engineer acting for the council’s environmental health team reported the tandoor oven had been turned on and off using a set of pliers and also has to be lit using a flaming piece of paper. Further, into the investigation, the pipework was a major concerned as foam and stick tape was being used to hold it together. The Alachi Restaurant was fined £175,000 and ordered to pay £4,300 towards the further cost.
"Our checks found very dangerous conditions in the kitchen of this restaurant that resulted in one of the chefs being seriously injured," a spokesperson for Sandwell Council said.
Are you following health and safety procedures within your business?
Need help and guidance to ensure you are keeping your staff safe?
We offer a range of non-construction courses for you to increase your knowledge and become competent in managing health and safety.
3 options for your business:
1. Choose an appoint person within your organisation to develop their knowledge choosing our training courses but must have the relevant 'competency'.
2. Employ a Health & Safety Manager / Advisor / Officer and continue to keep them updated through our training courses.
3. Role onto our Health & Safety Consultancy service.
Food Safety Manufacturing Level 1 or 2
Food Safety Catering Level 1 or 2
Food Safety Retail Level 1 or 2
Supervising Food Safety Level 3
Achieving Food Hygiene Rating Level 5
First Aid Courses
First Aid at Work
Emergency First Aid
Health & Safety Awareness
Libben Health & Safety can help you with any of the below services, give us a call us for further information on
- Private ‘In house’ training for your staff
- Booking individual staff members onto ‘open courses’
- Advice on our consultancy services
Midlands: 01922 474 999 / South West: 01173 878 097 / South East: 0203 141 9097 / North: 0161 348 7197